It is the mission of the Secretary of State to improve services to Montana’s voters, business community, and governmental agencies through open communications, effective use of technology, and transparent accountability.
GOAL: The Secretary of State will enhance services to the public utilizing technology throughout all divisions to improve the user’s ability to receive information and access services provided by this office.
- Digitized Ballot Creation: Create a uniform and digitized precinct level ballot creation mechanism for all 56 counties – easing the work load for County Clerks and Recorders and Election Administrators and providing the public a downloadable sample ballot to preview before Election Day.
- Expanded E-Notification Service for Annual Report Filers: Continue to expand the use of e-notifications for Annual Report filing reminders – reducing costs by decreasing the number of paper filings and encouraging greater use of the office’s online filing services.
- Improved Notarial Training: Provide professional online and in-person training for notaries public to provide easily accessible and valuable training for all notaries in Montana.
- Modernized Election Night Reporting: Implement a customized “Follow this Contest” election reporting function, allowing any online user on Election Night to create an individualized page detailing and displaying statewide, county, and precinct level results for the user’s selected election contests.
- Local Election Results: Implement results for local election races (County Commissioner, Clerk and Recorder, Justice of the Peace, etc.) and make available online through the statewide election night reporting system.
- Improved Online Business Services: Enhance online business forms through ongoing web and business system development to improve online services and ensure user-friendly computer formatting for our business services customers.
- Personalized Absentee Ballot Tracking: Support the personalized absentee ballet tracking function that will allow a voter visiting sos.mt.gov to check and see if their absentee ballot was sent and received. The service will provide peace of mind for absentee voters and reduce calls to the county election offices.
- Online Training for Records and Information Management: Implement new training and information services to help state agencies with Records Management components, such as retention schedule creation and a web-enabled records management system to help track storage measurements for state and local agencies.
- Digitizing Ballot Initiative Signature Sheets: Scan and digitize submitted, and county approved, ballot initiative petition sheets – making them available to interested parties earlier and in a secure manner for future election cycles.
- Modernized Businesses Information System: Modernize the office’s outdated, 30 plus-year-old business information system. SOS will support and upgrade existing systems while implementing a new information system for the office. The first phase includes the new UCC Lien Filing application and office accounting application. The following phases will replace the corporate filing system, notary filing system, and other smaller legacy applications.
- Electronic Voting for Absent Military and Overseas Citizen Voters: Implement a system for voters covered under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) to be able to receive, mark, and transmit a ballot for state and federal elections in a seamless, electronic process.
- Enhance the Online Administrative Rules System: Host and maintain the program in-house, and resolve unsettled programming errors that occurred during system development in 2007 and 2008.
- Electronic transmission of Voter Registration records from MT Motor Vehicle Division: Evaluate resources and refine technology upgrade plan to transmit voter registration information and electronic signature from MVD to the Secretary of State VR database.
- State-to-state voter registration data sharing initiative: Join a national effort to compare VR information between states to help with VR list maintenance and to identify eligible but not registered individuals.
- Provide mobile access to SOS services: Develop application to allow mobile devices access to My Voter Page and other SOS services.
- Enhance Information Technology Support: Develop in-house IT staff capacity with up-to-date skill sets, depth of knowledge, cross-training to support agency IT applications and customer needs while ensuring compliance with state security and continuity of government policies.