It is the mission of the Secretary of State to provide efficient services to Montana’s voters, business community, and governmental agencies through open communications, effective use of technology, and transparent accountability.
GOAL: The Secretary of State will enhance services to the public utilizing technology throughout all divisions to improve the ability of the agency’s customers to receive information and access services provided by this office.
- Digitized Ballot Creation: Create a uniform and digitized precinct level ballot creation mechanism for all 56 counties – easing the work load for County Clerks and Recorders and Election Administrators.
- Expanded E-Notification Service for Annual Report Filers: Continue to expand the use of e-notifications for Annual Report filing reminders – reducing costs by decreasing the number of paper filings and encouraging greater use of the office’s online filing services.
- Improved Notarial Training: Provide professional online and in-person training for notaries public to provide easily accessible and valuable training for all notaries in Montana.
- Improved Notary Public Search: Provide a new online notary search to allow citizens to quickly and easily locate a Montana Notary Public.
- Create an online pre-voter registration application to allow citizens to enter voter registration online, minimizing data entry errors and making the registration process more efficient.
- Create a database of boards and appointments using up-to-date technology that has the capability to integrate with other state databases that contain board appointment information.
- Improved Online Business Services: Enhance online business forms though ongoing web and business system development to improve on-line services and ensure user-friendly computer formatting for our business services customers.
- Online Training for Records and Information Management: Implement new training and information services through enhancements to the Records and Information Management web pages; to assist local and state agencies with records management components, such as retention schedule creation and procedures.
- Modernized Businesses Information System: Modernize the office’s outdated, 30 plus-year-old business information system. SOS will support and upgrade existing systems while implementing a new information system for the office. The first phase includes the new UCC Lien Filing application and office accounting application. The following phases will replace the corporate filing system, notary filing system, and other smaller legacy applications.
- Enhance the Online Administrative Rules System: Host and maintain the program in-house, and resolve unsettled programming errors that occurred during system development in 2007 and 2008.
- Electronic transmission of Voter Registration records from MT Motor Vehicle Division: Evaluate resources and refine technology upgrade plan to transmit voter registration information and electronic signature from MVD to the Secretary of State VR database.
- State-to-state voter registration data sharing initiative: Join a national effort to compare VR information between states to help with VR list maintenance and to identify eligible but not registered individuals.
- Provide mobile access to SOS services: Develop application to allow mobile devices access to SOS services.
- Enhance Information Technology Support: Develop in-house IT staff capacity with up-to-date skill sets, depth of knowledge, cross-training to support agency IT applications and customer needs while ensuring compliance with state security and continuity of government policies.